Wednesday 17 September 2014

Review | Lush Shampoo Bar♡

I thought I'd review the Karma Komba shampoo bar from Lush.
 
 
If any of you read my Friday haul post [here], then you will have seen that I went into Lush, and left not only with what I bought, but a sample of a shampoo bar to try (which wasn't sample size, was actually full size), so I thought seen as I was given it to try, I would try it, and share my views with you guys.
 
For any of you that do not know what a shampoo bar is, it is basically a solid bar of shampoo, like a bar of soap but for your hair.
 
Lush's description of their shampoo bars:
"Our naked and natural longlasting solid shampoos don't need to preserve their modesty, or anything else."
 
 
The shampoo bar I got, was the Karma Komba, and I was impressed. First of all, it was free (always a winner), but most of all, the smell! It is absolutely amazing, if any of you have tried the Karma bubble bar then it shares the same scent.
The scents are a mixture of; sweet orange oil, patchouli oil, elemi oil, and pine oil, plus others, and they all work amazingly together.
 
The ingredients:
Sodium Lauryl Sulphate, Sodium Cocoamphoacetate, Perfume, Pachouli Oil, Sweet Orange Oil, Lavendin Oil, Pine Oil, Lemongrass Oil, Elemi Oil, Gardenia Extract, *Citral, *Geraniol, *Citronellol, *Limonene, *Linalool, Colour 42090, Colour 19140 and Roman Chamomile Flowers.
All ingredients are either natural, or safe synthetics, and the ones marked with a * occur naturally in essential oils.
 
I must admit, reading the ingredients, and writing them down now, I don't have a clue what any of them are (and apparently neither does my laptop dictionary), but I trust Lush, and I know they are natural, vegetarian, and against animal testing, an all round a nice company.
 
The packaging:
Well that's the thing about Lush, they are environmentally friendly and don't provide packaging for products such as bath bombs and shampoo bars. Instead they use recycled paper bags, which in my eyes is brilliant - recycled paper that you then recycle, keeps the circle going, unless you don't recycle of course.
It has a rustic feel to it, hand picking your products, and receiving them in a paper bag.
Even the products such as facial sprays and lip scrubs can be recycled, you can take them in store and they will clean and use them again. Some of the empty pots can be swapped for a free product when you take in a certain amount.
 
Using the product:
I must say it was a little bit weird using a solid bar to wash my hair instead of the usual liquid from a bottle, but it was easy. I lathered it up in my hands, waited until I had as much foam as I desired, which didn't take long at all, then massaged into my hair and scalp. The smell was enhanced once it was being lathered into my hair, and it filled my bathroom and onto the landing, a big difference to bottle shampoo.
 
I did find however, with currently having dyed black/blue hair, and using this shampoo bar, that my colour appeared to be washing out (it's a permanent dye), the foam in my hands went a very deep navy blue colour. Now don't get me wrong, when I shampoo my hair with my usual product some mild colour does come out, but with the bar it seemed like it was stripping my colour. 
 
Once it came to washing it out, it was easy, I didn't struggle to wash it out like I have done in the past with other shampoos, I suppose it makes it easier that you lather it up in your hands before applying to hair, unlike traditional shampoos that lather up when you work it into your hair.
 
After I had washed it all out, as with any shampoo, my hair felt a bit plastic, like doll hair, that is because of all the abuse I have given it over the years, including bleach and heat damage, not to mention numerous dyes, but it did feel a lot harsher than usual.
I conditioned as usual then got out the shower.
 
After towel drying my hair, it did feel normal again, soft and not particularly much different to using just my usual products.
It did feel like it had a bit more volume that usual though, especially seen in my fringe (as that dries much quicker).

The morning after:
Well today, my hair is dry (I hardly ever blow dry my hair as it is so thick and curly that I end up with BIG hair - imagine a lion and your there), and if I'm honest, even with conditioning, my hair feels dryer than usual. It does smell amazing though, but the dryness isn't a good thing.
It does have much more volume than usual which would be brilliant for someone with flat hair.

My overall opinion:
I do like this shampoo bar, but I do not think it is for me.
I think it would be much more suitable for someone with natural hair, no dyed or bleached hair, as it is a bit drying and as I said appeared to pull some of my dye out, although it hasn't changed the way my colour looks (it does need re-dying tonight anyway - dark hair, light roots, not good).
The smell is amazing, and lasting, even when I used my usual conditioning products.

Overall I would say to try this if your hair is natural and you would like a bit of a boost in volume.

Have you ever tried this/or any of the Lush shampoo bars?
If so what are your opinions?
Let me know in the comments.

*All opinions in this post, are honest and entirely my own.

LoveTaraBabii


27 comments:

  1. Lush always has such a nice products, thank you for sharing this! I would ove to Lush and live there between all the products, smell is always stunning!

    Would you like to follow each other? Let me know!

    fashion-babel.blogpot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always buy from Lush, and always receive Lush products as gifts for birthdays and things, so I will be doing plenty more reviews for you to check out. Lush is amazing, in the town where I shop, you know Lush is near by, as you can smell it down the street!
      Of course, I shall go check out your blog now.
      Tara x

      Delete
  2. I went into a Lush store the other week, amazingly they have them here in Australia! I saw these shampoo bars and was intrigued but had no idea how they worked! Now I do! Thanks!!
    http://www.sweetwordsprettypictures.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! As I said, that one isn't for me but I'm sure they work for other people, and it wont stop me trying other shampoo bars of theirs.
      Tara x

      Delete
  3. I love honest reviews like this that don't sugar-coat everything. Great post!
    Following on GFC & Bloglovin.

    http://ditsysprinkles.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's the point in doing a review if you're not going to be truthful :D The last thing I want to do is pretend something is really good, when it isn't, and let all my lovely readers waste their money on something that may not work for them.
      Thank you for the follow!
      Tara x

      Delete
  4. I love you posts! Keep doing the great job!
    Followed you via GFC.
    Please follow me too.

    New Post Up On The Blog: Out of Sight | www.TIDESTORE.com

    With Love,
    Monique (The Slim Kid Inside)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! What a lovely comment.
      Of course I will follow back, I always follow a follower :) Will go check it out now.
      Tara x

      Delete
  5. What a great review. Keep up the good work girl! Lovely blog here btw! Would you like to follow each other on GFC? Please let me know on my blog so I can follow back. Thank you.
    xox
    Lenya
    FashionDreams&Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do try! Sounds good to me, I shall go check your blog out now and give you a cheeky follow, and leave you a comment.
      Tara x

      Delete
    2. Thx Tara for dropping by and leaving such a lovely comment. Lucky you, I wish temps here would drop just a teeny bit, longing for fall, lol. Just followed back honey. Please keep in touch. xox

      Delete
  6. I've never heard of a shampoo bar! just saying it sounds odd. But I love Lush products, they never disappoint and the scents they offer are just amazing! since I have not dyed my hair in a long time, I will give it a try! Thanks for sharing :)
    I invite you to visit my blog and let me know if you would like to follow each other to stay in touch.
    XOXO

    Milu
    www.hellolupi.blogspot.com
    HOURS LEFT - $50 INTERNATIONAL GIVEAWAY WITH WHITE PLUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome, and I'm sure it'll work brilliantly on none dyed hair, if you do give it a try please let me know what you thought.
      I'll go check your blog out now :)
      Tara x

      Delete
  7. Nice review! ♥

    Follow me, I follow back when I see it! Take care! xx
    Check out my post: http://czarinabear.blogspot.com/2014/09/beauty-victorias-secret-travel-brush.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I have followed you so I hope to see you around soon
      Tara x

      Delete
  8. Oops oops.. A big NO product for me if it dries out my hair.. Btw, very honest review.. and lovely blog <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and I just like to be honest for my readers.
      Tara x

      Delete
  9. I tend to run from products with Sulfate though , but this looks good. great review.


    If you would like to follow each other on Google Friend Connect , my link is below , i always follow back.

    www.stylenbeautylounge.com

    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lush is great, all natural or safe products, but for me, this didn't mix well my dyed hair.
      I'll go take a look now at your page.
      Tara x

      Delete
  10. Lovely detailed review!xx
    http://heyitshannaah.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love lush stuff- they always smell amazing! great review- think ill try this bar out!
    Great post - and you have a lovely blog! Glad I found it :)

    Wiyld - Find Beauty in Everything

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lush stuff is amazing, can't beat the smell either. Thank you, let me know what you think if you do!
      Tara x

      Delete
  12. I'm glad you like it. I will go check your blog out now.
    Tara x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your wonderful comment, and I do hope to see you around. I do try to reply to every single comment as soon as possible, so please check back soon. I also follow new followers to my blog, so keep your eye out for me on your page. LoveTaraBabii x