Sunday 28 September 2014

DIY | Sea Salt Hairspray♡

Today I decided to make my own sea salt spray and thought I would share it with you guys, as it is pretty simple, and you will probably have most of the ingredients at home.
 
 
You will need:
Fine Sea Salt
Hair Gel
Conditioner
Argan Oil
Warm Water
Spray Bottle
Funnel or folded paper
 
The Process:
I started off by part boiling some water in the kettle, and then filling up my spray bottle until it was about 1/2 full, I then added in some cold water until it was about 3/4 full, as you want it warm but not hot.
 
I then gave it a couple of squirts of hair gel (roughly a table spoons worth) that I kindly donated from my boyfriend's collection haha. The hair gel gives the spray a bit of extra staying power.
 
I then added a dollop of conditioner (again roughly a table spoons worth). The conditioner keeps hair conditioned instead of drying out with the salt, plus depending which conditioner you use adds an amazing smell, I did want to use a coconut one but I had ran out, so I settled for using my step daughters apple conditioner.
 
Then I followed it with a few drops of Argan oil, you can use any hair oil you wish, but this is the only one I own at the moment. Again this is to help nourish your hair instead of it drying out with the salt.
 
Finally I added the sea salt. I added 2 heaped tea spoons of the salt, and in the process covered the kitchen in it, as I did it the hard way by not using a funnel or folded paper, whoops!
 
Once you have added all the ingredients to the water, put the lid back on and shake vigorously!! I was mentally singing Taylor Swift - Shake it off, while doing this, made it much more fun! Give it a good shake for a minute or so, or until all the ingredients dissolved.
 
You can store the salt spray for a good few weeks, but you have to shake vigorously each time before use, as the ingredients will separate when left.
 
I love using salt spray as my hair is naturally curly/wavy, but because there is so much of it, it tends to end up more boffy than styled, so when I use the salt spray I am left with more defined curls/waves.
 
There are a few ways to use salt spray:
On towel dried hair spray sections of hair liberally with the salt spray and scrunch upwards, this is the method I use, I tip my head upside down, and scrunch from the tip of my hair to my scalp, and do this for each section, I then allow to dry naturally and spray with hairspray.
 
You can do the same as above, but instead of scrunching sections, put into plaits, and leave overnight until dried, in the morning make sure the plaits are dried and then take them out. If the some plaits aren't fully dried, re-plait them and wait another hour or until fully dry. Once all plaits are out, run your fingers through and spray with hairspray for added hold.
 
You can also spray onto dry hair to add texture, I find I do this in a rush and go straight out the door, the fresh air helps add a beachy effect too.
 
I hope you all liked this post, and hopefully some of you will try this yourself.
 
Do any of you guys use salt spray? If so do you make your own or do you buy branded ones?
Let me know in the comments below!
 


4 comments:

  1. What a cool idea! I had visions of you 'shaking' it like Taylor Swift!
    http://www.sweetwordsprettypictures.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yep had a good old dance around the kitchen!
      Tara x

      Delete
  2. Salt spray is my favoruitest product to use on (in?) my hair and I think this is such a cool idea! Lovely post :)
    http://signbeforeyouseal.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's a great product! Plus it's cheaper making your own too! Although I do have a few branded products in my collection. Thank you.
      Tara x

      Delete

Thank you for your wonderful comment, and I do hope to see you around. I do try to reply to every single comment as soon as possible, so please check back soon. I also follow new followers to my blog, so keep your eye out for me on your page. LoveTaraBabii x